Click here to see our locations!

In 1949 the Benedictine Fathers of Sri Lanka were looking for a place in Australia to expand their activities. Cardinal Gilroy, Archbishop of Sydney, offered them the district of Smithfield. The year 2003 would be the last year that the Benedictines would serve and guide the Parishioners of St Gertrude’s Parish, Smithfield. From  2004, the Parish has been under the guidance of the Pauline Fathers (St Paul the First Hermit).

St. Gertrude’s Parish is under the Archdiocese of Sydney and it covers the suburbs of Smithfield, Fairfield West, and parts of Fairfield Heights, Prairiewood, and Wetherill Park in Western Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia.  It is approximately 31 kilometers west of the Sydney Central Business District, in the local government area of Fairfield. 

 

St. Benedict’s Shrine

St. Therese’s Church

 

“We the people of St Gertrude’s Parish are a Catholic Community in South West Sydney, mindful of our history, with a concern for ecumenical issues. We are called to; Nurture faith development in the whole life of all our community, Celebrate God’s love for us in the person of Jesus in both Word and Sacrament and Evangelise by proclaiming the joy of salvation to the wider community.”

– Parish Mission Statement